Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros, 110 pages


"Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous, The House on Mango Street tells the story of Esperanza Cordero, whose neighborhood is one of harsh realities and harsh beauty. Esperanza doesn't want to belong - not to her rundown neighborhood, and not to the low expectations the world has for her. Esperanza's story is that of a young girl coming into her power, and inventing for herself what she will become." -Back Cover

I finally had time to read again! I've missed my books. This book was a poignant look at growing up in a less than ideal place and rising above it. I love how it ended. I have a feeling this book is best enjoyed slowly, not digesting it in a few short days to catch up to the online book club! I will definitely read this book again so I can really glean every detail and thought from each chapter. I keep thinking about the paragraph-long chapter titled "Those Who Don't." It was pretty powerful.

No comments: