"This well-loved novel has delighted millions of readers over several generations, just as schoolmaster Mr. Chips himself delighted generation after generation of students. From his auspicious first day of teaching at Brookfield to his two retirements, a tragic April Fools' Day, his famous and classic jokes, and then finall to his quiet farewell, Good-Bye, Mr. Chips is a beloved classic that will bring a tear to your eye and a lump to your throat. Above all, this masterful book shows you the life of this marvelous man, and makes you wish there were a Mr. Chips in your life." -Back CoverThis is a very quick read but three things stuck out to me.
1. The influence of a woman - I thought Katherine was like a burst of sunshine for Mr. Chips. She had such a vivacious personality leaving her mark on everything she touched. She came into his life unexpectedly and left it unexpectedly, but their love and influence lasted a lifetime.
2. The influence of a good teacher - My dad is a teacher and so I couldn't help but think about him as I read this. Let's face it, teachers are the greatest people on the earth. They are selfless individuals (their pay is crap!) who have a love of learning and a desire to share that with others. I think my daughter's third grade teacher is her Mr. Chips. He's taught her so much. Some teachers stay with you for the rest of your life and I can see how Mr. Chips would have been that kind of teacher. I love Mr. Chips' Latin lesson during the bombing and his witty sense of humor. I also loved how he enjoyed his own sense of humor.
3. Reminiscing - My husband runs a retirement community and whenever I stop in to visit I almost always talk with the residents. They are so quick to share their memories. For some of them that is where they live. Mr. Chips had so many wonderful memories and I got a little choked up at the end of the book when he talked about all of his children - all boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment