Friday, July 2, 2010

The Host by Stephenie Meyer, 619 pages

"Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for those invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there is one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love." -Jacket

I had decided when this book came out that I wouldn't read it until I was done with the Twilight series. I wasn't sure if I would like it as much as I liked Twilight. Twilight is a guilty pleasure for me. This book is not. This book is written for adults and I think I like it better. Some of the reviews I'd read said that the beginning was boring and that the book was too long. I didn't find that to be the case. I was sucked in from the beginning and couldn't put it down. The dilemma for me: how was the story going to resolve itself in a way that benefited both Melanie and Wanderer? I wanted Melanie to get her body back, but not at the expense of Wanderer.

Wanderer, later called Wanda, is a gentle soul. She is kind, compassionate and gentle. She makes it hard to hate her and her alien race. The human complexities that arise when Wanderer makes it to where the humans are hiding had me captivated. Ian falls in love with Wanderer and Jared is still in love with Melanie. It makes for an interesting situation. Jeb is a fantastic character. He is wise, discerning, and knows how to keep crazy situations under control.

I really, really liked this book. I was so happy with its conclusion. I thought it was well-written, engaging, hard to put down, and thought-provoking. It's a story about the power of love and the beauty of being human. 

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Hey! I didn't know you were reading this book. I read it a few summers back when I was waiting for Breaking Dawn. I was much happier with how it resolved itself than I was with how Breaking Dawn ended up working out. I'm glad you liked it! I liked it a lot too. I read somewhere that Stephanie Meyer said she would cast Matt Damon as Jared. I think I'd have to agree with that! :)