Monday, December 27, 2010

Matched by Ally Condie, 366 pages

"In the Society, Officials decide.
Who you love. Where you work. When you die.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has ever dared follow - between perfection and passion." -Book Jacket

I kind of stumbled into hearing about this one and then immediately put it on my Christmas wish list. It's been hyped as a book for Twilight and Hunger Game lovers. It's the first in a planned trilogy. There is a lot of internal dialogue in this book as Cassia analyzes all of her actions, feelings, and choices, trying to decide between being safe and living. The love triangle is very similar to the one in The Hunger Games. You like both guys and, like the Twilight series, you wind up picking the one you like most, or the one you think is best for her. I still haven't completely decided who that is. This book is kind of slow until about 40 pages before the end but I didn't mind that. You know that there will be more action in the books to come. I'm just bummed I have to wait a year. I don't know why I keep winding up reading books that are part of a series - or so much science fiction/fantasy for that matter! The other books I got for Christmas are the first in their series also. So many books...so little time.

No comments: