Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons by Joseph Delaney

395 pages

"As the Spook's apprentice, Thomas Ward's first duty is to protect the County from ghosts, boggarts, and other dangerous creatures. But now his mother has come back from her homeland to seek his help. One of the most dangerous of the old witches, Ordeen, is about to return to earth, bringing with her suffering and devastation. Tom's mother has mustered a powerful army--including Tom's friend Alice, the Pendle witches, and the assassin Grimalkin--to confront Ordeen. If Tom joins them, the Spook will refuse to take Tom back as his apprentice. What sacrifices will be made in the battle against the dark?" -Dust Jacket

*SPOILER ALERT*
This book started out just all right for me compared to the last one. At some point the author needs to understand that he doesn't have to repeat explanations about certain things for the reader. We know that Tom's key will unlock any door! This book started to get good around chapter 9 and finished with several unexpected twists. Finding out that Tom's mam was the  Lamia was the biggest one. I had a feeling that she was a lamia but not the original one and she did some bad things before she became a servant of the light. I was sad to see her die the way she did but having her appear to Tom in his dreams makes me think we haven't seen the last of her. I'm glad that the Spook finally gave in a little to using the dark against the dark, but I think that his concerns and worries over doing so will prove to be valid. I'm hoping that Bill Arkwright isn't really dead and I'm looking forward to seeing how Tom gets out of his dilemma with the Fiend. Eventually he's going to have to tell the Spook what he and Alice have done.

There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel with this series. Only two more books to go. This series is probably best for kids age 10+, unless they're easily scared and then I'd say 12+. It's been a fun, fast, enjoyable read, but it's time to move on to something else! I've been in the middle of three different series for months now. Series are great, but waiting for an author to finish one isn't.

No comments: