396 pages
"Thomas Ward has served as the Spook's apprentice for three years. He has battled boggarts, witches, demons, and even the devil himself. Tom has enemies. The Fiend stalks him, waiting for a moment of weakness. The terrifying Morrigan, goddess of witches, warned him never to step foot on her homeland, Ireland.
But now war has consumed their own country, and Tom, his friend, Alice, and the Spook must flee to Ireland. The dark rages strongly there. No one can be trusted. Can Tom defeat the creatures that hunt him most fiercely?" -Dust Jacket
*SPOILER ALERT*
This book was darker than the rest. There are some great Irish characters in this book, particularly Farrell Shey. I love brave humans! This book includes a battle between Mages and the Land Alliance. Tom is captured by the Mages and chained on a platform to be sacrificed to the Old God Pan. I liked Pan. He's not the evil god he's made out to be. The middle of the book is kind of a blur now because the ending was so shocking...and out of all eight books was the only one to end with any sort of cliffhanger. Figures. I really like Grimalkin, as bad as she is. Thin Shaun and Scarabek were scary. What happened to Alice was tragic. The binding of the Fiend was graphic. The Destiny Blade was a nice addition. This book is definitely not the end of the series. I read online that the author said the series would end either when he got tired of writing it or when Tom's apprenticeship is finished. That would mean 15 books in his estimation! So, looks like I'll be pushing mid-40's before it's done.

No comments:
Post a Comment