Friday, November 23, 2012

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

205 pages

"THEY'RE JUST STRANGE LITTLE GUYS
Shy Mole, who dreams of an exciting new life by the endless River. Ratty, a friendly, unflappable, altogether civilized chap. Gruff Badger, who hates absolutely everyone--except all his friends. And Toad, Ohh, Toad--glorious, crazy, doomed Toad: Toad the pampered braggart, Toad the desperate thief, Toad the hunted fugitive and hero of his own silly dreams.
WHO HAVE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES
From buzzing summer days to winter's killing cold, from gentle picnics to deeds of mighty daring, from wild escapes to a meeting with a god...
Everyone should have a life like this--
And friends like these." -Back Cover

I'm pretty sure I've seen the cartoon movie of this book but I wasn't sure I'd ever read the book. What convinced me to read it now was the foreword's description of how this book came about. "Grahame started it as a series of episodes for his partially blind four-year-old son, Alastair, nicknamed 'Mouse.' Storytelling to Alastair at bedtimes had been a long, established custom in the Grahame house." Alastair went on a trip without his dad. His dad promised to send him a story each day so he wouldn't miss them. The Wind in the Willows are those stories. My husband tells our kids stories almost every night at dinner and we always talk about writing those down one day.

Apparently Kenneth Grahame didn't have the happiest life, or at least not the one he dreamed of. He was not able to attend the university he wanted to and worked for years in a job he didn't love. His real passion was writing and he dreamt of living a quiet life along the river, much like Rat.

I wouldn't necessarily consider this a children's story. I think it's better suited for young adults and adults to be fully appreciated, but everyone can relate to its idea of being a good friend. Rat instantly accepts Mole when he first meets him and treats him as if they've been best friends forever. Rat is maybe my favorite character. He's kind to everyone and always thinks of others. Badger has a reputation for being cranky but he also cares about his friends. (I think the cranky thing is just an act.) He can be gruff though if he needs to be; he's the one who stages an intervention for Toad. These three characters are very good-natured.

Toad is crazy but in a really lovable way. I love the part where he sees a motor car and just has to drive it. That compulsion is what leads to so much trouble. Toad is the comic part of the story--the jailbreak, the fat lady on the barge, running all over the country in a washerwoman's outfit--it's all great fun. He gets himself into all kinds of trouble and then when he gets out of it--sometimes by luck and sometimes through the help of others--he thinks it's because he's so great and he takes the credit. He rarely thinks of others, but in the end shows that he's capable of change.

There are a couple of fantasy elements to this story (aside from the whole talking animal thing) that seemed a little whimsical and maybe a bit out of place. Mole and Rat meet Pan when they're out looking for Otter's son. I liked how Pan was watching over the little otter. Grahame obviously felt a love of nature and that nature takes care of its own. Rat also encounters an older, well-traveled rat whose story-telling of life on the road puts Rat in a trance and almost causes him to leave his home.

These little animals are completely endearing. Grahame told his illustrator, Ernest H. Shepard, "I love these little people, be kind to them." They do seem like people. It took me a second glance at one chapter to realize that there are also humans in this book, too. I'm not sure if that helps or hurt the story. Overall though, this is a great story of friendship, adventure, and home. It was a fun read.

No comments: