This book was delightful, insightful, entertaining and humorous. I laughed out loud in several places and my husband, who doesn't have much time for books, eventually requested I read out loud so he could hear what was so funny. My favorite paragraph would probably have to be this one: "I figure heaven will be a scratch-and-sniff sort of place, and one of my first requests will be the Driftwood in its prime, while it was filled with our life. And later I will ask for the smell of my dad's truck, which was a combination of basic truck (nearly universal), plus his cologne (Old Spice), unfiltered Lucky Strikes, and when I was very lucky, unleaded gasoline. If I could have gotten my nose close enough I would have inhaled leaded gasoline until I was retarded." That still makes me laugh out loud, probably because I used to love the smell of gasoline too and maybe it made me retarded! I also loved the last chapter about Santa and the piano.I didn't find this book to be one I couldn't put down which is probably why it took me awhile to finish it - well, that and the fact that I now can't read without my glasses. Dumb left eye! There's nothing more frustrating than one good eye and one bad and I guess I was protesting. Still, it's a fun book about "growing up small in Mooreland, Indiana." It's like Junie B. Jones for adults.
No comments:
Post a Comment